Problem: Error (Cartridge missing or not detected)
The cartridge has been installed correctly but the printer is reporting it as missing
Resolution 1: How to clean the cartridge chip
Before installation, please follow these instructions on how to clean the cartridge chip
1. Remove the packaging from the new cartridge.
2. Using the rubber provided, clean the gold contacts on the back of the cartridge.
3. Install the new cartridge into your printer.
4. Wait until the printer has recognised the cartridge before use.
This process helps to remove any dirt or residue ink on the chip which can cause recognition issues.
Problem: Error (Non original cartridge)
On installation an error message appears saying that the cartridge is non original (this message may vary depending on the printer model)
- Just click OK on the message to continue printing.
- If the ink level indicator appears, just ignore it. (You can click don't show this message again)
Problem: Printing blank pages / Fading on print / Incorrect colours being produced
Printouts are coming out very faded or blank, or with the incorrect colours.
In the unlikely event that your cartridge is not printing to your satisfaction, there may be a blockage on the print nozzles caused either by dried ink particles or an air lock.
This problem can easily be remedied by carrying out a simple manual cleaning procedure:
- 1. Take a cotton bud and dampen with some warm water. Then gently wipe around the area of the print head at the base of the cartridge.
- 2. Afterwards, dab the print head onto a clean absorbent paper kitchen towel until the ink begins to filter through. The following colours should be visible on the kitchen towel:
- For the black cartridge - a full black oval shape
- For the colour cartridge - 3 distinct oval or round shapes should be seen coloured cyan, magenta and yellow
- 3. Take a clean, dry paper kitchen towel and gently wipe the copper contact points at the back of the cartridge and the contacts inside the printer cartridge carrier.
Problem: HP ink has been depleted
During use an error message appears stating that the HP ink has been deleted
Press OK on the message and continue printing
- By pressing "OK" your ink status monitor will be disabled.
- This means you’ll have to monitor how much ink is left in the cartridge based on print quality.
- If your print quality deteriorates during use, please perform a printer alignment test before considering a replacement cartridge.
Printers that use HP 963 cartridges
To see a full list of products that work in your printer, click on the model name below:
All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.