What the Cartridges Should Look Like
Problems During Installation
If there has been a full set of genuine cartridges installed in the printer prior to installing the new compatible cartridges then a full compatible cartridge replacement may be required if the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) appears
If this error message still appears after this troubleshooting or you don't have a full set of compatible cartridges available please consult the "Problems you might encounter" section below
- This incompatible cartridge error message appears when the printer detects that there is both genuine and compatible cartridges installed in the printer
- To do a full genuine to compatible replacement please follow the steps below:
- 1. Remove all the cartridges currently installed in the printer and turn the printer off. Leave it off for 15 minutes then turn it back on
- 2. Re-install a full set genuine HP ink cartridges in the printer - These genuine cartridges can be half full or even empty
- 3. Once the genuine cartridges have been detected, remove and the replace them with compatible cartridges.
- 3a. Note: This must be done in one go
Problems You Might Encounter
Problem: Printing blank pages / fading on print
Printouts are coming out very faded or blank
- If the print quality is poor or no ink is appearing on the paper then try doing 2-3 head cleans/nozzle cleans
- If print quality is still poor this would indicate an issue either with the cartridge or the age of the printhead.
Problem: Error (Cartridge is not compatible)
The compatible cartridge has been installed correctly and the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) has appeared
- 1. Remove the affected cartridge/cartridges from the printer
- 2. Turn the printer off and wait for 2 minutes
- 3. Turn your printer back on and wait for a further 2 minutes
- 4. Once the printer warns that certain cartridge/cartridges are missing, re-install them one at a time
Problem: Counterfeit Cartridge Installed
The remanufactured HP 920XL cartridge has been installed and the screen states the product is counterfeit or used
- The cartridge is remanufactured and is not counterfeit. Upon installation the printer has detected the cartridge has been previously used by reading the data stored on the microchip located underneath the cartridge. This remanufactured cartridge has gone through rigorous inspection, cleaning and refilling processes to produce a quality alternative branded product.
- At the point of initial installation press ok to continue and perform one cleaning cycle. The cartridge cleaning method can be located within your printer toolbox, set up, clean or maintenance window. Subsequent print jobs do not need a print clean prior to printing.
Problem: Status Monitor Disabled
The status monitor on the remanufactured HP 920XL cartridge printer does not work
- The printer has detected the cartridge is remanufactured and has disabled the printer status monitor. After installation perform one cleaning cycle located in your printer toolbox, set up, clean or maintenance window.
- Simply monitor the print performance to determine the end of your cartridge life.
This message can be dismissed by pressing "OK"
Problem: Can't bypass low ink error
After following the status monitor instructions for the remanufactured HP 920xl cartridge it still isn't printing
- Occasionally the printer status monitor locks, preventing proceeding
- Lift and close the printer lid/cover to continue. This will reset the status monitor and will bypass this error message
Problem: Printing blank pages
The ink cartridge printed one or two pages and then stopped printing.
- It could be that the tape that covers the breathing hole has not been removed
- Be sure the breathing hole on the cartridge has been released usually by removing a small “rip strip” so that the cartridge has air supply then it can print.
- All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.