What the cartridges should look like
Problems During Installation
If there has been a full set of genuine cartridges installed in the printer prior to installing the new compatible cartridges then a full compatible cartridge replacement may be required if the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) appears
If this error message still appears after this troubleshooting or you don't have a full set of compatible cartridges available please consult the "Problems you might encounter" section below
- This incompatible cartridge error message appears when the printer detects that there is both genuine and compatible cartridges installed in the printer
- To do a full genuine to compatible replacement please follow the steps below:
- 1. Remove all the cartridges currently installed in the printer and turn the printer off. Leave it off for 15 minutes then turn it back on
- 2. Re-install a full set genuine HP ink cartridges in the printer - These genuine cartridges can be half full or even empty
- 3. Once the genuine cartridges have been detected, remove and the replace them with compatible cartridges.
- 3a. Note: This must be done in one go
Problems you might encounter
Problem: Blank / Faded Output
The cartridge has been installed into the printer but it producing blank / faded output
- These cartridges require a printhead clean to work.
- In the "Setup" menu on the printer's LCD, scroll to "Tools".
- In this menu find "Printhead clean" and select this function.
- After this printhead clean is complete a test page will be printed.
- If further head cleaning is required select the 2nd level clean on the LCD display.
- Again, after this printhead clean is complete a test page will be printed.
- If further head cleaning is required select the 3rd level clean on the LCD display.
Problem: Cartridge Not Recognised
The printer is showing the cartridge as not installed.
If the cartridge is the correct one for the printer, remove the cartridge, and wipe the gold coloured electrical contacts with a tissue, before reinstalling the cartridge
Problem: Error (One or more cartridges are missing or damaged)
To remove this error message, please follow these instructions
- 1. Direct your web browser:
- 2. Find your printer and operating system in the list and download the corresponding file.
- 3. Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.
After the update is complete, you should no longer see the above error message.
Problem: Error (Cartridge is not compatible)
The compatible cartridge has been installed correctly and the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) has appeared
- 1. Remove the affected cartridge/cartridges from the printer
- 2. Turn the printer off and wait for 2 minutes
- 3. Turn your printer back on and wait for a further 2 minutes
- 4. Once the printer warns that certain cartridge/cartridges are missing, re-install them one at a time
Problem: Error (Non HP Ink Installed)
The remanufactured HP cartridge has been installed and the screen states 'Non-HP Ink Cartridge Installed'.
Upon installation the printer has detected the cartridge has been previously used by reading the data stored on the microchip located on the cartridge.
Simply Press "OK" on the Error screen to bypass
Problem: Error (HP Protected Cartridge Installed)
The printer is reporting the cartridge as HP Protected
- Type the IP address of your printer into your web browser
- To get your printers IP:
- Click Start and go to devices and printers
- Right click on the printer you're having problems with
- Go to properties and click on the tab called Web Services
- Copy and paste the IP address into your web browser
- Once the page has loaded, go to the tab called Settings
- Click on HP cartridge protection under "preferences" (Left hand side of the screen)
- Click "Disable HP Cartridge Protection" and then click "Apply"
- All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.