Problem: Cartridge is the wrong size
The cartridges are physically a different size or shape.
Compatible cartridges will always look different to the original branded cartridges. They will often differ in shape or size, but this does not affect the fitting or functionally of the cartridges in any way at all.
- Please check the seal has been pierced on the cartridge. If not, reinstall it and give it a firm push upon installation.
Problem: Ink level is not reported
If this happens, customers need to update the printer to the latest firmware version. Please follow the steps below:
Resolution option 1 - Updating the firmware version on the printer via Wi-Fi
1. On the printer display, select the Wi-Fi icon
2. Select change settings
3. Choose your Wi-Fi (e.g. SKY453) and enter your Wi-Fi password
4. Once connected, select the back button to return to the main menu
5. Go to settings, all settings and select machine info
6. Scroll down and select firmware update.
7. Select Yes, then OK twice
8. Type the password, usually found on the back of the printer
Please note that the password is different on every printer
9. Press OK
10. Reset the printer and reinstall the cartridges, the printer should now show the ink levels
Resolution option 2 - Download the latest version via another device (e.g. computer)
1. Visit the Brother support page https://www.brother.co.uk/support
2. Type the printer model (e.g. MCFJ6940DW) below 'I know my device model'
3. Once there, select 'view downloads'
4. Choose your OS family (e.g. Windows or Mac) and your OS version (e.g. Windows 10 (64 bit)
5. Select OK and the version will download
6. Open the version and follow the instructions to execute it (make sure the printer you are updating is powered on and your device is connected to the printer)
5. Once done, reset the printer and reinstall the cartridges, the printer should show the ink levels
Problem: Fading on print
Printouts are very faded print or there is a lack of print on the page
- If the print quality is poor or no ink is appearing on the paper then try doing 2-3 head cleans/nozzle cleans
- Leave 20 minutes between each clean
Problem: Printing blank pages
The ink cartridge printed one or two pages and then stopped printing.
- It could be that the tape that covers the breathing hole has not been removed
- Be sure the breathing hole on the cartridge has been released usually by removing a small “rip strip” so that the cartridge has air supply then it can print.
This image shows the front of the cartridges, the yellow tab must be removed before installation.
The back of the cartridge can be seen in this image, the chip must be clear of impurities before installation. Do not remove the tape covering the ink, this will be pierced when inserted into the printer, allowing the ink to come out.
The left side of the cartridge can be seen in this image, match the colour to the correct slot in the printer.
The right side of the cartridge can be seen in this image.
Printers that use Brother LC422XL cartridges
To see a full list of products that work in your printer, click on the model name below:
All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.