Problem: Error (Cartridge Problem or Incompatible Cartridge)
After installing a remanufactured HP301XL cartridge, the screen states the a "cartridge problem" or "cartridge error"
- Remove the affected cartridge from the printer
- Check that the chip has not been removed from the cartridge (as below)
- Wipe the chip with a dry lint free cloth
- Reinstall the cartridge into the printer and firmly press the cartridge into the slot to ensure contact is made.
Problem: Error (Counterfeit or Used Cartridge Detected)
After installing a remanufactured HP301XL cartridge, the screen states the product is counterfeit or used.
Upon installation the printer has detected the cartridge has been previously used by reading the data stored on the microchip located underneath the cartridge. To bypass the Error conduct the following steps:
Remove the cartridge, and wipe the gold coloured electrical contacts with a tissue, before reinstalling the cartridge.
Problem: Not recognised
After installing the cartridge the printer is showing the cartridge as not installed correctly.
Resolution 1: How to clean the cartridge chip
Before installation, please follow these instructions on how to clean the cartridge chip
1. Remove the packaging from the new cartridge.
2. Using a dry lint free cloth, clean the gold contacts on the back of the cartridge.
3. Install the new cartridge into your printer.
4. Wait until the printer has recognised the cartridge before use.
This process helps to remove any dirt or residue ink on the chip which can cause recognition issues.
- Remove the cartridge, and wipe the gold coloured electrical contacts with a tissue, before reinstalling the cartridge
- If this doesn't work then repeat the process 2-3 times
Problem: Printing blank pages / fading on print
Printouts are coming out very faded or blank
- Clean the printhead with a piece of damp kitchen tissue (warm water)
- If this doesn't work, sit the cartridge printhead on some moist kitchen roll for 20 minutes
- Make sure the bottom of the cartridge (where the ink comes out of) is touching the kitchen roll
|This image shows the front of the cartridge, the colour and product code can be found on the label.
|The back of the cartridge can be seen in this image, the blue tape must be removed along with the paper that covers the chip.
|This image shows the left side of the cartridge, there are instructions on the paper showing that it must be removed before installation.
The right side of the cartridge can be seen in this image, the batch code can be found on the small label.
This image shows the top of the cartridge, the chip must NOT be removed.
Printers that use Brother HP 304 & 304XL cartridges
To see a full list of products that work in your printer, click on the model name below:
All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.