What the cartridges should look like
Compatible HP 301XL (Top View)
Compatible HP 301XL (Bottom View)
Compatible HP 301XL (Side View With Clips)
Compatible HP 301XL (Side View Without Clips)
Compatible HP 301XL (Chip View)
Problems you might encounter
Problem: Error (Cartridge Problem or Incompatible Cartridge)
After installing a remanufactured HP301XL cartridge, the screen states the a "cartridge problem" or "cartridge error"
- Remove the affected cartridge from the printer
- Check that the chip has not been removed from the cartridge (as below).
Compatible HP 301XL (Chip view - Chip removed on colour cartridge)
- Wipe the chip with a dry lint free cloth
- Reinstall the cartridge into the printer and firmly press the cartridge into the slot to ensure contact is made.
Problem: Error (Counterfeit or Used Cartridge Detected)
After installing a remanufactured HP301XL cartridge, the screen states the product is counterfeit or used.
Upon installation the printer has detected the cartridge has been previously used by reading the data stored on the microchip located underneath the cartridge. To bypass the Error conduct the following steps:
Remove the cartridge, and wipe the gold coloured electrical contacts with a tissue, before reinstalling the cartridge
Problem: Not recognised
After installing the cartridge the printer is showing the cartridge as not installed correctly.
Resolution 1: How to clean the cartridge chip
Before installation, please follow these instructions on how to clean the cartridge chip
1. Remove the packaging from the new cartridge.
2. Using a dry lint free cloth, clean the gold contacts on the back of the cartridge.
3. Install the new cartridge into your printer.
4. Wait until the printer has recognised the cartridge before use.
This process helps to remove any dirt or residue ink on the chip which can cause recognition issues.
- Remove the cartridge, and wipe the gold coloured electrical contacts with a tissue, before reinstalling the cartridge
- If this doesn't work then repeat the process 2-3 times
Problem: Lines on printout
There are lines down the page on printouts, or bands of colour missing
Perform a cleaning cycle designed to remove air trapped in the cartridge's printhead
Problem: Poor print quality
The cleaning cycle did not improve my print quality.
Solution 1. Wipe the printhead from front to back with a moist tissue until you get a black line, or a three colour line on the tissue. Reinstall the cartridge and try again.
Solution 2. If the cartridge has been used for a while it could have run out of ink - check to see if there's ink left in the cartridge
Problem: Printing blank pages / Fading on print / Incorrect colours being produced
Printouts are coming out very faded or blank, or with the incorrect colours.
In the unlikely event that your cartridge is not printing to your satisfaction, there may be a blockage on the print nozzles caused either by dried ink particles or an air lock.
This problem can easily be remedied by carrying out a simple manual cleaning procedure:
- 1. Take a cotton bud and dampen with some warm water. Then gently wipe around the area of the print head at the base of the cartridge.
- 2. Afterwards, dab the print head onto a clean absorbent paper kitchen towel until the ink begins to filter through. The following colours should be visible on the kitchen towel:
- For the black cartridge - a full black oval shape
- For the colour cartridge - 3 distinct oval or round shapes should be seen coloured cyan, magenta and yellow
- 3. Take a clean, dry paper kitchen towel and gently wipe the copper contact points at the back of the cartridge and the contacts inside the printer cartridge carrier.
- All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.
- Deskjet 1000
- Deskjet 1010
- Deskjet 1050
- Deskjet 1050A All-in-One
- Deskjet 1510
- Deskjet 1512
- Deskjet 1514
- Deskjet 2050
- Deskjet 2050A
- Deskjet 2050s
- Deskjet 2510
- Deskjet 2512
- Deskjet 2540
- Deskjet 2542
- Deskjet 2544
- Deskjet 2545 All-In-One
- Deskjet 2549 All-In-One
- Deskjet 3000
- Deskjet 3050
- Deskjet 3050A e-All-in-One
- Deskjet 3055A e-All-in-One
- Envy 4500 e-All-in-One
- Envy 4502 e-All-in-One
- Envy 4503 e-All-in-One
- Envy 4504 e-All-in-One
- Envy 4505 e-All-in-One
- Envy 4507 e-All-in-One
- Envy 4508 e-All-in-One
- Envy 4509 e-All-in-One
- Envy 5530 e-All-in-One
- Envy 5532 e-All-in-One
- Envy 5534 e-All-in-One
- Envy 5539 e-All-in-One
- Officejet 2620
- Officejet 2622
- Officejet 4634 e-All-in-One