What the cartridges should look like
Problems you may encounter
Problem: Non original cartridge / Empty Cartridge
On installation an error message appears saying that the cartridge is non original (this message may vary depending on the printer model)
Just click OK on the message to continue printing. If the ink level indicator appears, just ignore it. (You can click "do not show this message again")
Problem: Error code 162/163
Error (u162/ u163 error)
1. Turn off your printer and turn it on again.
2. After the printer initializes, try to copy or print something. The error will appear again.
3. When the error is displayed on the display panel of the printer, press and hold the STOP/RESET button and wait until it self restarts.
4. Release the STOP/RESET button while the printer is restarting.
5. Wait for a few seconds and the pending print jobs will commence.
Problem: Error (Cartridge missing or damaged)
The printer is reporting the error (Cartridge missing or damaged)
- Remove the faulty cartridge from the printer
- Make sure all the packaging clips and blue tape covering the copper part of the cartridge has been removed from the cartridge + clean the contacts with a dry cloth / tissue
- Pull the power cable out the back of the printer and leave the printer off for 15 minutes
Problem: Cartridge showing as low/empty (1 of 2)
The re-manufactured Canon cartridge shows a low/ empty ink warning
The status monitor needs resetting:
- 1. Press and hold the printers stop button (or power/start button depending on what the error message says) for 5 seconds during the error message.
- 2. This will disable the status monitor and will allow printing. Print quality will have to be used to determine when the cartridge is low on ink.
Problem: Cartridge showing as low/empty (2 of 2)
Printer is not allowing printing as it believes the cartridge has been previously used
- 1. After the following error message (see below) appears on your screen press the printers Start button once
- 2. This will clear the error message and allow for printing. However the ink status monitor will be disabled.
- 3. Print quality will have to be used to determine how much ink is left:
- Note: Print quality deteriorates quickly when the cartridge has run out of ink
Problem: Difficulty Installing
Having difficulty installing the cartridge or don't know how to install the cartridge?
Both the OEM and remanufactured cartridges suffer this problem:
- 1. Place the cartridge into the correct cartridge slot
- 2. Lift the cartridge until it clicks into place
Problem: Printing blank pages / Fading on print / Incorrect colours being produced
Printouts are coming out very faded or blank, or with the incorrect colours.
In the unlikely event that your cartridge is not printing to your satisfaction, there may be a blockage on the print nozzles caused either by dried ink particles or an air lock.
This problem can easily be remedied by carrying out a simple manual cleaning procedure:
- 1. Take a cotton bud and dampen with some warm water. Then gently wipe around the area of the print head at the base of the cartridge.
- 2. Afterwards, dab the print head onto a clean absorbent paper kitchen towel until the ink begins to filter through. The following colours should be visible on the kitchen towel:
- For the black cartridge - a full black oval shape
- For the colour cartridge - 3 distinct oval or round shapes should be seen coloured cyan, magenta and yellow
- 3. Take a clean, dry paper kitchen towel and gently wipe the copper contact points at the back of the cartridge and the contacts inside the printer cartridge carrier.
- All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.