Problem: Replace toner / Toner low
The cartridge is reporting that it's low on ink or reporting the error message (Replace toner).
The following troubleshooting can vary from printer to printer. If your printer doesn't have the required buttons in Resolution 1, please try Resolution 2 instead.
- Open the printer lid (You don't have to hold it open, you can rest it down so long as it doesn't shut full)
- On the control panel press the X button and the Secure button together
- Use the arrow keys and the OK button to select the toner cartridge affected by this error
- Press the UP arrow
- Wait for the printer to reset the cartridge
- The printer should automatically return to ready mode
- Close the printer lid and you should be able to continue printing
Note: The printer lid needs to remain open during all of these steps
- With the error message on the LCD display, press the Cancel (X) button to show the main menu.
- Press the Fax button (or the copy button on the LCD display) to make the numeric keypad visible. Then, locate and only locate the Asterisk (Star) button on the numeric keypad. (It's important to remember its location as it will not be lit up later when needed)
- Press the Home button to return to the main menu.
- Open the front cover of the printer (to access cartridges).
- With the front cover open, press and hold the unlit Asterisk (Star) button for 5 seconds.
- The reset menu will now appear on the LCD display.
- Scroll through the menu to select a colour and yield to reset.
- The LCD will read "Accepted" once the reset is complete.
Note: : On the reset menu, the options to choose from will be K = Black, C = Cyan, M = Magenta, Y = Yellow for the Toner, and STD = Standard Capacity Cartridge or HC = High Capacity Cartridge for the capacity.
Problem: Faded Output
Printouts are coming out faded.
- If the print quality is poor, remove the toner cartridge from the printer and gently rock the cartridge from side to side.
- This movement helps distribute to the toner evenly within the cartridge.
- After rocking the cartridge 5-6 times, re-insert the cartridge into the printer and print a test page.
Checking the Serial Number
- Press "Tools button"
- Press "All Settings"
- Swipe up or down, or press "a" or "b" to display machine info
- Press "machine info"
- Press "serial no"
- The touch screen will show the machines serial number
- Press home to exit
- Press "a" or "b" to select machine info
- Press "a" or "b" to select serial no
- Press "ok"
This image shows the front of the cartridges. The product code can be found on the larger label and the batch code is on the smaller one.
The back view of the cartridges is shown in this image, the orange clip must be removed before installation.
This image shows the left side of the cartridges.
The right side of the cartridges is where the colour is displayed.
Printers that use Brother TN-245 cartridges
To see a full list of products that work in your printer, click on the model name below:
All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.