What the cartridges should look like
Problems During Installation
If there has been a full set of genuine cartridges installed in the printer prior to installing the new compatible cartridges then a full compatible cartridge replacement may be required if the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) appears
If this error message still appears after this troubleshooting or you don't have a full set of compatible cartridges available please consult the "Problems you might encounter" section below
- This incompatible cartridge error message appears when the printer detects that there is both genuine and compatible cartridges installed in the printer
- To do a full genuine to compatible replacement please follow the steps below:
- 1. Remove all the cartridges currently installed in the printer and turn the printer off. Leave it off for 15 minutes then turn it back on
- 2. Re-install a full set genuine HP ink cartridges in the printer - These genuine cartridges can be half full or even empty
- 3. Once the genuine cartridges have been detected, remove and the replace them with compatible cartridges.
- 3a. Note: This must be done in one go
Problems you might encounter
Problem: Used or counterfeit cartridge detected
After installing the printer cartridge, a warning message may appear on the computer screen and/or the printer, as shown below (please note that this message may vary depending on the printer model).
There are 2 possible error message with different solutions:
- Please click "OK" to dismiss this message and continue printing.
- If this error message appears its because the printer thinks the cartridge is empty - try removing the cartridge and wiping the chip with a dry cloth
Problem: Error (Cartridge is not compatible)
The compatible cartridge has been installed correctly and the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) has appeared
- 1. Remove the affected cartridge/cartridges from the printer
- 2. Turn the printer off and wait for 2 minutes
- 3. Turn your printer back on and wait for a further 2 minutes
- 4. Once the printer warns that certain cartridge/cartridges are missing, re-install them one at a time
Problem: Power light + resume light on
The power light and the resume light are on
A cover is not closed completely, or the duplexer is missing or is not attached correctly.
Solution one: Close all covers
Make sure that all covers on the HP printer are completely closed.
- 1. If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
- 2. If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.
Solution two: Lock the duplexer into place
Follow these steps to lock the duplexer into place.
- 1. If the duplexer is detached, slide the duplexer into the slot on the rear of the printer.
- 2. Note: Do not press the buttons on the sides of the duplexer when attaching it. Use the buttons only for removing the duplexer from the printer. Lock the duplexer into place.
Problem: Cartridge light is On
The power light and the resume light blink, and one or more of the cartridge lights are on
This means one or more of the cartridges has expired.
- With the expired cartridge installed, press and hold the power button, and then press the Resume button three times. All of the lights (except for the Power light) will turn off, and then you can continue printing.
Problem: All lights are on
All the printer lights are on
A non-recoverable error has occurred. Please contact HP regarding the service of your printer.
The Power light, resume light, and one or more of the cartridge lights blink
One or more of the cartridges is a non-HP cartridge. To use the non-HP cartridges, press the Resume button to continue printing.
The power light is on, and one or more of the cartridge lights blink
One or more of the cartridges are either missing or out of ink.
- 1. Ensure all cartridges are installed
- 2. Push down on the cartridges to check they are installed correctly
The power light blinks, and one or more of the cartridge lights are on
A cartridge is out of ink and must be replaced before continuing to print.
- All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.