What the cartridges should look like
How to install the cartridge
This is how the cartridges appear, seated correctly (Photosmart 7520 - other printers may vary)
OEM installation instructions (may not apply exactly to compatibles)
Problems During Installation
If there has been a full set of genuine cartridges installed in the printer prior to installing the new compatible cartridges then a full compatible cartridge replacement may be required if the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) appears
If this error message still appears after this troubleshooting or you don't have a full set of compatible cartridges available please consult the "Problems you might encounter" section below
- This incompatible cartridge error message appears when the printer detects that there is both genuine and compatible cartridges installed in the printer
- To do a full genuine to compatible replacement please follow the steps below:
- 1. Remove all the cartridges currently installed in the printer and turn the printer off. Leave it off for 15 minutes then turn it back on
- 2. Re-install a full set genuine HP ink cartridges in the printer - These genuine cartridges can be half full or even empty
- 3. Once the genuine cartridges have been detected, remove and the replace them with compatible cartridges.
- 3a. Note: This must be done in one go
Problems you might encounter
Problem: Fading on print
Printouts are very faded print or there is a lack of print on the page
- If the print quality is poor or no ink is appearing on the paper then try completing Printhead cleans
- 1. On your computer, go to the Start menu and click on Settings / Control Panel.
- 2. Select Devices & Printers on the settings menu.
- 3. Select the model being used on the printer tab and click Manage to access the printer menu.
- 4. Go to Printing Preferences then click on the Service tab.
- 5. Click Printer Services on the next window and select Clean Printheads.
- 6. Allow the printer to complete the cleaning cycle.
- 7. If the quality has not improved, please try running the cleaning cycle 2-3 more times.
Problem: Error (Cartridge is not compatible)
The compatible cartridge has been installed correctly and the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) has appeared
- 1. Remove the affected cartridge/cartridges from the printer
- 2. Turn the printer off and wait for 2 minutes
- 3. Turn your printer back on and wait for a further 2 minutes
- 4. Once the printer warns that certain cartridge/cartridges are missing, re-install them one at a time
Problem: Disabled Status Monitor
The printer has detected the cartridge is remanufactured and has disabled the printer status monitor
- After installation perform one cleaning cycle located in your printer toolbox, set up, clean or maintenance window
- Simply monitor the print performance to determine the end of your cartridge life
Problem: Counterfeit Cartridge Detected
- The cartridge is remanufactured and is not counterfeit
- Upon installation the printer has detected the cartridge has been previously used by reading the data stored on the microchip located underneath the cartridge
- This remanufactured cartridge has gone through rigorous inspection, cleaning and refilling processes to produce a quality alternative branded product
- At the point of initial installation press ok to continue and perform one cleaning cycle
- The cartridge cleaning method can be located within your printer toolbox, set up, clean or maintenance window
- Subsequent print jobs do not need a print clean prior to printing
Problem: Error (Missing or Damaged)
The error message on a Photosmart 7520 printer, the dot/blob indicates which cartridge is affected (yellow in the picture)
Possible Resolution 1
- Remove the affected cartridge from the printer
- Reinstall the cartridge and firmly press down on the top of the cartridge until you hear a "click".
- Shut the printer lid and wait for the error to disappear from the LCD display.
- Please note: If you're unable to get the cartridge to "click" into place, hold the clip down against the cartridge for 5-10 seconds and try again. Sometimes the plastic is re-shaped in transit and can cause the cartridge to not sit correctly in the cartridge slot.
Possible Resolution 2
Switch off the printer at the mains and leave off for 5-10 minutes
- In the meantime remove the cartridge that is giving the error message and gently wipe the chip on the cartridge with a dry, lint free cloth to remove any dust or finger prints that may be restricting the cartridge from being read by the printer
- When the printer has been switched off for at least 5 minutes please turn back on and allow to fully re-boot, then re-install the cartridge and try to print
- These steps should rectify the problem, if not please a replacement might be required
- All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.