What the cartridges should look like
Problems you may encounter
Problem: Error (Cartridge missing or not detected)
The cartridge has been installed correctly but the printer is reporting it as missing
Resolution 1: How to clean the cartridge chip
Before installation, please follow these instructions on how to clean the cartridge chip
1. Remove the packaging from the new cartridge.
2. Using the rubber provided, clean the gold contacts on the back of the cartridge.
3. Install the new cartridge into your printer.
4. Wait until the printer has recognised the cartridge before use.
This process helps to remove any dirt or residue ink on the chip which can cause recognition issues.
Problem: Non original cartridge / Empty Cartridge
On installation an error message appears saying that the cartridge is non original (this message may vary depending on the printer model)
- Just click OK on the message to continue printing.
- If the ink level indicator appears, just ignore it. (You can click don't show this message again)
Problem: Printing blank pages / Fading on print / Incorrect colours being produced
Printouts are coming out very faded or blank, or with the incorrect colours.
In the unlikely event that your cartridge is not printing to your satisfaction, there may be a blockage on the print nozzles caused either by dried ink particles or an air lock.
This problem can easily be remedied by carrying out a simple manual cleaning procedure:
- 1. Take a cotton bud and dampen with some warm water. Then gently wipe around the area of the print head at the base of the cartridge.
- 2. Afterwards, dab the print head onto a clean absorbent paper kitchen towel until the ink begins to filter through. The following colours should be visible on the kitchen towel:
- For the black cartridge - a full black oval shape
- For the colour cartridge - 3 distinct oval or round shapes should be seen coloured cyan, magenta and yellow
- 3. Take a clean, dry paper kitchen towel and gently wipe the copper contact points at the back of the cartridge and the contacts inside the printer cartridge carrier.
Problem: HP ink has been depleted
During use an error message appears stating that the HP ink has been deleted
Press OK on the message and continue printing
- By pressing "OK" your ink status monitor will be disabled.
- This means you’ll have to monitor how much ink is left in the cartridge based on print quality.
- If your print quality deteriorates during use, please perform a printer alignment test before considering a replacement cartridge.
Problem: Error (Incompatible Cartridges Installed / Printer Cartridge(s) missing or not detected)
The cartridge has been installed but the printer is reporting it as incompatible (See below) or missing/not detected
- Remove the affected cartridge from the printer
- Wipe the chip with a dry lint free cloth
- Reinstall the cartridge into the printer and firmly press the cartridge into the slot to ensure contact is made.
To continue printing, please follow these instructions using your printers control panel:
1. Whilst holding down the X button, press the on / off button.
2. Enter the special key combo: BLUE then GREEN then GREY.
3. Press the BLUE button repeatedly until you see the "Information menu" message.
4. Press OK.
5. Press the BLUE button repeatedly until you see the Checksum for relock data input message.
6. Press OK and wait for a number sequence to appear next to this message.
7. Once these numbers have appeared, repeatedly press X until you exit all the menus.
8. When prompted for an alignment test, cancel it with X.
Please note: Some printers may not have these buttons. If this is the case presume:
The Blue button = Scan Button
The Green button = OK or Colour Copy/Scan Button
The Grey button = Black Copy/Scan Button
Problem: Error (Refer to printer documentation)
The cartridge has been installed but the printer is saying to refer to printer documentation
Open printer and remove both the colour and black cartridges.
- Close the printer and wait for the prompt to install the tri-colour cartridge.
- Open the printer and install the tri-colour cartridge ONLY.
- Close the printer and wait for the prompt to install the black cartridge.
- Open the printer and install the black cartridge.
- Close the printer and it should then prompt you to insert paper and then to perform the cartridge alignment.
- All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.