What the cartridges should look like
How to install the cartridge
Please do not shake the cartridge before use
- Before installing your compatible cartridge you must remove the yellow tape from the bottom of the cartridge (Please don't remove the foil covering the printhead)
- Install the cartridge by ensuring that the chip is facing the back of the printer.
- Press firmly down on the cartridge into the printer slot.
- Please ensure that you do not touch the gold contacts on the front of the cartridge.
Problems During Installation
If there has been a full set of genuine cartridges installed in the printer prior to installing the new compatible cartridges then a full compatible cartridge replacement may be required if the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) appears
If this error message still appears after this troubleshooting or you don't have a full set of compatible cartridges available please consult the "Problems you might encounter" section below
- This incompatible cartridge error message appears when the printer detects that there is both genuine and compatible cartridges installed in the printer
- To do a full genuine to compatible replacement please follow the steps below:
- 1. Remove all the cartridges currently installed in the printer and turn the printer off. Leave it off for 15 minutes then turn it back on
- 2. Re-install a full set genuine Epson ink cartridges in the printer - These genuine cartridges can be half full or even empty
- 3. Once the genuine cartridges have been detected, remove and the replace them with compatible cartridges.
- 3a. Note: This must be done in one go
Problems you may encounter
Problem: Cartridge not recognised
The cartridge is showing as not recognised. (See below for an example of this message)
- This error can sometimes be displayed due the cartridge being incorrectly seated in the printer.
- Remove the affected cartridge from the printer
- Reinstall the cartridge and firmly press down on the top of the cartridge.
- Shut the printer lid and wait for the error to disappear from the LCD display.
- This message is displayed when the ink runs out on a compatible cartridge to discourage the use of compatible cartridges.
- The print yield of the compatible cartridge should be equal to the original.
- If the cartridge hasn't reached the print yield but displays this message it could be a fault
- - Remove the affected cartridge from the printer and power off the printer
- - Check to see if there's ink left in the cartridge and wipe the chip with a dry cloth
- - Turn the printer back on and install the cartridges one at a time
Problem: Cartridge not recognised + Displaying as empty
The cartridge shows as not recognised or empty after switching on the printer or leaving it a while.
- The printer periodically cleans the printhead, using ink from the cartridges. If the cartridge is near the end of its duty cycle it can result in this message from appearing.
- It is possible that one of the cartridge chips may have been dislodged during the printer load up/ a periodic cleaning cycle.
- Lift the cartridge lever and push your finger firmly on the top of the cartridges.
- If this fails, carefully lift the affected cartridge out of the printer.
- Push the cartridge firmly back into position to re-engage the chip / printer contacts.
Problem: Error (Cartridge is not compatible)
The compatible cartridge has been installed correctly and the error message (Cartridge is not compatible) has appeared
- 1. Remove the affected cartridge/cartridges from the printer
- 2. Turn the printer off and wait for 2 minutes
- 3. Turn your printer back on and wait for a further 2 minutes
- 4. Once the printer warns that certain cartridge/cartridges are missing, re-install them one at a time
Problem: Error (Non genuine cartridge detected)
After installing the cartridge into the printer an error message "Non genuine cartridge detected" appears on the screen
- 1. Remove cartridge from the printer
- 2. Power off and unplug printer for 10 min
- 3. Wipe the chips on the cartridges
- 4. Reboot the printer and re-install the cartridges
Problem: Low ink message appears before every print
The low/empty ink message appears every time a document is sent to print
- On occasion the message will continue to appear each time you try and print a document.
- Instructions to disable Status Monitor:
- 1. Open the printer control panel by clicking START, then under SETTINGS, select Printers and Faxes.
- 2. Then open the control panel for your Epson printer by double-clicking the name of the printer you have installed.
- 3. On the dialog box that opens click on the Printer menu and choose Printer Preferences. Then select the Maintenance tab as shown below.
- 4. Then click on Speed & Progress as below
- 5. Finally check the option "Disable EPSON Status Monitor 3" and click OK to apply the changes. Proceed to click OK to close any other dialog boxes open.
Note. Should you wish to re-enable this utility just follow the steps above and uncheck the option "Disable EPSON Status Monitor 3".
Problem: Lines/streaks on prints
There are lines / streaks on the paper when printing.
- Perform a print head cleaning cycle.
- This can be located within the printer maintenance menu.
- Print a nozzle check to see if all the nozzles are free of blockages.
- If breaks still appear on the printed page, repeat the process.
- If the nozzle check page displays one set of black nozzles shown below, only perform up to two cleans.
- If the screen displays up to three sets of nozzles, perform up to three cleans: 99% of all blocked nozzles are caused by trapped air within the print head.
- If the cleaning cycle does not remove the lines, rest the printer for half an hour and perform a nozzle check. (Do not continue to clean the cartridges as this will use up valuable ink from all the cartridges).
- If there is no improvement, leave the cartridge for a further two hours. During the rest period, ink from the cartridge will migrate through the cartridge and absorb / push trapped air from the print head.
- If Epson cartridges are removed from the printer for any length of time, the print head is liable to dry out and block up. Always remove used cartridges when you have a replacement available.
- Never remove the power supply when the printer is in operation such as paper feed, cleaning cycle and printing. When the printer is not in use, the print head will park over the "capping mechanism" which seals over the print head preventing it from drying out.
Problem: Cartridge is producing incorrect colours
The printer is producing images / text with the incorrect colours.
- Check that all the cartridges are installed in the correct printer slots.
*If the cartridges were in the wrong slots:
- Please install the cartridges in the correct printer slots and run 1-2 head cleaning cycles to remove any incorrect ink in the system.
*If the cartridges were in the correct slots:
- Please run 1-2 head cleaning cycles.
- All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.