Problem: Error (Remove Shipping Lock)
The printer is reporting the error "Remove Shipping Lock Error"
- Remove cartridge from printer, and locate the ship lock lever arm mechanism (fig. 1)
- Holding the cartridge in the upright position, push the white lever forwards. This should lift the black lever (fig 2). If the mechanism does not operate smoothly or is stuck, this is likely the cause of the error.
- If the mechanism is not operating smoothly, wiggle the white arm slightly and try again. If this does not help, tap the cartridge and vacuum/blow air into the mechanism to free any small amounts of toner lodged inside.
- Turn the printer off using the power button.
- Swap the affected cartridge with another colour toner cartridge in the printer. I.e. If the cyan cartridge was affected, put the cyan cartridge in the magenta printer slot and the magenta cartridge in the cyan slot.
- Close the door, and allow to Initialise.
- After a long Initialisation, the printer will report the error "Supplies in wrong positions."
- Power off the printer and swap the two cartridges back to their original positions.
- Close the door and turn the printer back on.
- The machine should initialise and return to the ‘Ready’ mode.
Problem: Printing blank pages / faded output
Printouts are coming out very faded or blank
- Remove the toner cartridge from the printer
- Gently rock the cartridge from side to side to evenly spread the toner
- Re-insert the cartridge and print a test page
Problem: Lines down page
Printouts are coming out with lines down the page
It could be that there is toner on the photosensitive drum. Try printing 5-10 pages to see if this removes the lines.
Problem: Dots or Streaks
Printouts have dots or streaks on the page
- Print out one or two pages this may clear the issue.
- Print a "Print Quality Page"
- If dots or streaks are isolated to one band of colour replace that colour.
- If dots appear in more than one band replace the toner colour of the dots/ print a cleaning page
This image shows the front of the cartridge, the pull tab on the left must be removed before installing.
The back of the cartridge can be seen in this image, the orange protector must be unclipped before installation.
This is the left side of the cartridges, this side shows the pull tab slightly better.
This image shows the right side of the cartridges, use the black hand to install it into the printer.
Printers that use HP 312A cartridges
To see a full list of products that work in your printer, click on the model name below:
All trademarks, photos and logos included on this information sheet are the property of their respective owners.