If your printer continues to show the 'Toner Low' or 'Replace toner' error after replacing your cartridge, you may need to reset the printer's toner counter to continue printing.
What is the toner counter and why does it need to be reset?
Some Brother laserjet printers do not have the ability to accurately measure the level of toner remaining in the cartridge. Instead, they rely on a built-in toner counter to determine when the cartridge needs be replaced. The toner counter has a set number of pages that can be printed before a warning message appears advising to prepare a new toner for installation. When a new toner is installed, the counter should automatically reset as the data on the cartridge chip is read, however, if the printer does not initially recognise the cartridge as new, the error will still be displayed.
There are also occasions where the 'Replace toner' error appears before the cartridge has ran out. This can happen if you regularly print small amounts of text per page but exceed the number of pages set by the counter. Resetting the counter will allow you to override the error and continue using the toner cartridge - If you do reset the counter for this reason, the printer may not advise when it is low. You will need to monitor your printouts and replace the cartridge when you see a deterioration in the overall quality.
How do I reset the counter on my printer?
The steps required to reset the toner counter can vary depending on the printer you have. If your printer doesn’t have the required buttons used in Resolution A, please try Resolution B:Toner reset instructions for Brother TN241 & TN245 - Resolution A
- Open the front cover to access the cartridges (You don't have to hold it open, you can rest it down so long as it doesn't close fully).
- On the control panel press the X button and the Secure button together.
- Use the arrow keys and press the OK button to select the toner cartridge affected by this error.
- Press the UP arrow.
- Wait for the printer to reset the cartridge.
- The printer should automatically return to ready mode.
- Close the front cover and you should be able to continue printing.
The front cover needs to remain open during the above steps.
- With the error message on the printer display, press the Cancel (X) button to show the main menu.
- Press the Fax button (or the Copy button on the printer display) to make the numeric keypad visible. Then, locate and only locate the Asterisk (*) button on the numeric keypad - It's important to remember its location as it will not be lit up later when needed.
- Press the Home button to return to the main menu.
- Open the front cover of the printer (to access cartridges).
- With the front cover open, press and hold the unlit Asterisk (*) button for 5 seconds.
- The reset menu will now appear on the printer display.
- Scroll through the menu to select the colour and yield to reset.
- The printer display will show ‘Accepted’ once the reset is complete.
On the reset menu, the options to choose from will be K = Black, C = Cyan, M = Magenta, Y = Yellow for the Toner, and STD = Standard Capacity Cartridge or HC = High Capacity Cartridge for the capacity.
If you are still experiencing problems, please contact us or update your support ticket and a member of the team will be in touch.